One of the biggest concerns when moving is the cost of services. The more household items you move, the higher the cost is expected to be. This is particularly true for bigger items, such as furniture. This can bring up the question of whether you should sell your furniture, or have it transported with the rest of your belongings. Take a look at uShip’s cost-to-ship index to help you estimate the cost of your household move.
I Am Moving, Should I Sell My Furniture or Move With It?
There are a lot of things to consider when making this decision, and the best choice varies on a case by case basis. If you have furniture that is high quality and suits your style, you might want to keep it for your new place. On the other hand, if it is old and worn-out, you may consider using the move as an opportunity to look for new furniture.
Aside from the current condition of your furniture, there are other things that can help you decide whether you should sell it or move it with you.
How to Decide What to Get Rid of When Moving
As is often the case with all things related to a move, there is no definitive answer. However, going through the following questions can help you decide if you should sell certain pieces of furniture or move them with you to your new home.
- Is your furniture in good overall condition? Consider getting rid of furniture with rips, tears, and other breakage.
- Will your furniture fit in your new home’s layout? If you can’t get your sofa through the doorways of your new home or your king bed won’t fit in your bedroom, consider leaving it behind.
- Is a piece of old furniture a family heirloom? Give yourself extra time when making the decision to keep or get rid of a family heirloom. Typically, people take their heirlooms with them when moving.
- Is it a high-quality piece of furniture? Keep in mind, high-quality or one-of-a-kind furniture is hard to replace.
- Relocation distance. The farther the move, the more costly the services will be. Getting rid of furniture is beneficial to your bottom line for long distance relocations.
With uShip, you can accomplish a household move with as many pieces of furniture as you want while saving money and time. With thousands of customer-rated moving services ready to give you a moving quote and compete for your business, you’re sure to find the best company at their best price. uShip also offers plenty of advantages you can’t find with any moving service: