Buying a Motorcycle on eBay
If you are looking to buy a new or used motorcycle, eBay is a great place to start. You can easily browse a large inventory right from the comfort of your home. In fact, there are thousands of motorcycles for sale on eBay at any given moment. This means that you are no longer restricted to the local classifieds to find your dream bike. Not sure how it all works? No worries. This guide will cover everything you need to know about buying and shipping a motorcycle off eBay.
HOW TO BUY A MOTORCYCLE ON EBAY: STEP BY STEP
1| CREATE AN EBAY ACCOUNT
Creating an eBay account is straightforward. You will need to supply your first and last name, email address, and unique password. Once you are registered you will be able to start browsing and bidding on motorcycles.
2| BROWSE THE EBAY MOTORCYCLE INVENTORY
- Create a list of preferences: What does your dream motorcycle look like? Think about the make, model, color, engine type, and year of the bike that you prefer.
- Search the eBay Marketplace: Once you have an idea of what you want in a bike, use that information to filter your search results. You can filter results by price, location, size, condition, and more.
- Save favorites to your watchlist: When you come across a motorcycle that you are interested in, save it to your watchlist. Look for a heart on the eBay listing and click add to watch list. You will want to save a few bikes to compare later on.
Once you have saved a few motorcycles to your watchlist you will want to perform some basic research.
First, you will want to research the seller of each bike:
- Search the motorcycle seller’s eBay username in Google:: If anything sounds an alarm in the search results then you would want to remove the bike from your watchlist.
- Review the seller’s profile: You are able to view seller feedback by clicking on the username inside of the seller information panel located on the eBay motorcycle listing. Look at their reviews and feedback rating. You want to make sure that the majority of their feedback is positive.
Next, you will review each motorcycle listing in detail:
- Read the description: Review the motorcycle item description for specific information such as the condition, mileage, warranty status, damage, etc.
- Review photos: Take a look at the photos attached to the listing. Do you notice any flaws that are not mentioned in the bike’s description?
- Ask questions: When buying a motorcycle off eBay you will want to ask the sellers plenty of questions. All you have to do is select contact seller on the listing. Do not take the transaction off eBay as this typically leads to scams.
- Have a professional inspector or mechanic look at the bike: If you are not able to physically see the motorcycle, try and find a local inspector or mechanic to take a look at it before you buy it or place a bid.
4| PLACE A BID OR BUY IT NOW
When you are ready to purchase your dream motorcycle on eBay you will need to either place a bid or buy it now. Keep in mind that not all auctions will come with the option to buy the bike right away. If you decide to place a bid it is important not to wait until the last few seconds to get it in. This can cause you to lose the bike to someone else
5| MAKE PAYMENT
After you have won the auction you will need to make payment. The seller of the motorcycle sets the payment terms so be sure to review those in detail. Typically the seller will ask for a deposit immediately after winning the eBay motorcycle auction and then the full payment within seven days. Most eBay sellers accept the following payment options:
- Paypal Credit
- Payment on Pickup
- Credit or Debit Card
It is important to communicate with the seller to find out which payment methods they accept.
EBAY MOTORCYCLE SHIPPING
When the time comes to ship the motorcycle that you just purchased from eBay, use uShip to have it delivered safely. Create a free listing on our easy-to-use shipping marketplace. From there, you will receive quotes from professional door-to-door motorcycle transport companies. Review the quotes and select a carrier that works best for you.
uShip is dedicated to providing you with the best motorcycle shipping experience. Please contact us if you have any questions about shipping your motorcycle from eBay.
Ready to Ship?Get Quotes
When shipping a motorcycle, it will not be covered by your personal policy. In order to protect against damage or loss, your motorcycle shipping company should offer a minimum amount of insurance.
Before your motorcycle movers arrive for pick up, you should prepare your motorcycle for transport.
Most motorcycle transporters let you choose from either an open trailer or an enclosed trailer. Here's how to choose.
October 22, 2019