In a recent study done by uShip and Censuswide, 2,028 consumers were surveyed about their buying behavior as it pertains to returns. Among some of the more shocking statistics uncovered there was the fact that 63% of the questioned individuals stated that they would be more inclined to buy from retailers who prioritized sustainable shipping practices.
As the buying population is growing younger (and more climate-conscious consumers are gaining purchasing power), decreasing your carbon footprint is going to play more into their buying decisions.
This impacts every arm of the supply chain, from delivery to returns and everything in between.
So how can you position your business in a way that wins more sales all while having a meaningful impact on the environment?
In a word, uShip. Let’s talk about it.
Your Customers Want Sustainable Everything
As mentioned above, your customers are increasingly environmentally aware, and they’re letting that mentality shape how they shop. In fact, it’s a large part of what shapes their worldview. From what they drive to how they shop, sustainability matters. It’s why companies like AptDeco, Kaiyo, and 1stDibs (who all specialize in second-hand furniture) partner with uShip.
So, what can you do with regard to your shipping and return efforts? A lot, actually.
- Use eco-friendly packaging. The problem? Sustainable options for packaging can be hard to find depending on what you’re looking for and how you need items shipped. Should it be padded and crated? Will moving blankets work? There’s a lot to consider.
How can uShip help? When you use our platform, all of those worries are gone. The carriers on our platform blanket wrap for you. They have sustainable shipping materials that they’re reusing daily.
- Tighten your route planning. Efficiently layout your routes so that stops are as close to each other as possible. This decreases transit and idle time, thus cutting down on emissions. Doing this for large and bulky items is hard. It can be about as fruitful as herding cats. In the dark. How can uShip help? Carriers on uShip are most likely going in the direction where your item needs to be delivered (this is how they decide which shipments to bid on). Because of this, you get a first-to-final mile delivery (or return) that is as eco-friendly as possible. Your item(s) are helping fill a truck that is already going in the same direction. This drives down both the shipping price and the carbon footprint of that specific item.
- Find eco-minded carriers. Shared-truckload carriers who maximize each load are a great way to do this. Options are out there to find professionals who hold the same sustainability standards as you, but they can be hard to find. They don’t have to be, though. How can uShip help? Because we’re a marketplace where carriers are connected with anyone who needs to ship large and bulky items, we have the solution to help keep your environmental priorities in line and keep business moving.
We Understand Your Customers’ Demand For a Sustainable Shipping and Returns Option
As mentioned earlier, today’s consumers are increasingly environmentally aware, and they’re letting this mindset guide their shopping decisions. Sustainability is more than just a buzzword; it’s a driving force behind consumer choices, especially as newer generations are gaining more buying power. It pervades their ethos and is a part of the choices they make daily, so eco-friendliness definitely matters. At uShip, we understand this demand for sustainability and aim to support businesses in meeting these customer expectations.
So, how can we help you address this growing demand for eco-conscious practices? At uShip, sustainability isn’t just a buzzword either — it’s at the core of our mission. We recognize the vital role businesses play in reducing their environmental impact, especially in the shipping and returns processes.
Making Your Returns Process Sustainable
Our commitment to sustainability extends beyond shipping to the returns process as well. Here’s how we can help your business make its returns more eco-friendly:
- Streamlined Returns: Our user-friendly platform makes it easy for customers to seamlessly return large, bulky items. They don’t have to lift a finger, and you, as the retailer, have a minimal effort, too. List. Book. Return. All in one place, and just like our delivery options, we maintain the same first-to-last mile service which cuts emissions (and costs) drastically.
- Consolidated Routes: By optimizing return shipping routes and combining shipments, we help reduce transportation emissions associated with the return process. Fewer, more efficient return shipments lead to a smaller carbon footprint.
- Eco-friendly Packaging: Just like with shipping, carriers on uShip blanket-wrap items, so the need for extra packaging is nonexistent. This not only demonstrates your commitment to sustainability but also resonates with your environmentally conscious customers. It also cuts damage rates down dramatically.
The Bottom Line
In today’s business landscape, being sustainable is not just a choice; it’s a competitive advantage. Customers increasingly expect businesses to prioritize eco-friendly practices, from manufacturing to shipping and returns. At uShip, we are your partner in meeting these expectations and positioning your business as a leader in sustainability.
By choosing uShip for your shipping and returns needs, you not only reduce your carbon footprint but also contribute to essential sustainability initiatives. This aligns with the values of environmentally conscious consumers and will lead to increased sales and brand loyalty.
When you’re ready to get started making your shipping and returns operations more sustainable, we’ll be here.