HOW TO SELL A CAR ON EBAY
Both private individuals and dealerships can easily sell a car on eBay. The platform is a much better solution for selling a vehicle compared to alternative methods such as a local newspaper listing; the reason being that your car will be seen by thousands of potential buyers. Ready to get started? Here is how to list a car on eBay:
First, you will want to register as an eBay member. Creating an account is very simple and should not take more than 5 minutes. You will need to provide basic contact information, create a user ID, and then a secure password.
Once you are a registered user, you will need to create a seller account. When creating an eBay Motors seller account you will be asked to verify your information and provide either a credit or debit card, followed by a checking account. From there you will be asked how you would like to pay your seller fees. More to come on eBay Motors fees. For now, let’s dive into the next step of selling a car on eBay.
2| Collect Information About Your Vehicle
The next step will require some effort on your part. Set yourself up for success by collecting important details about your automobile. Potential buyers want to know everything they can before sinking their hard-earned dollars into an online vehicle purchase. Basic information you should collect before selling a car on eBay is:
- VIN: The vehicle identification number is a string of seventeen characters that a manufacturer assigns to a vehicle. You can find the VIN on the bottom left corner of your car’s front windshield or on your insurance card.
- Year, make, and model: Verify what year your vehicle was manufactured in along with the make and model.
- Additional features: Find out if your vehicle is equipped with any aftermarket products such as premium sound or snow tires. This will add value to your car.
- Safety features: If your car has any additional safety features, such as anti-lock brakes or a rearview camera, you will want to mention it on your listing.
- Transmission type: Is your vehicle’s transmission automatic or manual?
- Warranty details: Is the car still under warranty? If so, find out what is covered and when it expires.
- Condition of vehicle: Thoroughly inspect both the exterior and interior of your car and write down any cosmetic issues.
- Title: It is important to know if you have a clear title. If you don’t, make sure to obtain one.
- Value: Use a service like Kelly Blue Book to determine what your car is worth.
3| Take Photos
Since most potential buyers will not be able to physically see your vehicle, you will want to take good photographs. Think about what the buyer would want to see if they were looking at the car in person. Be sure to document all cosmetic issues such as dents, scratches, and upholstery damage. Here are some suggestions to get started:
- Interior: Think about the seats, carpet, trunk, and roof.
- Exterior: Take photos of all four sides of the vehicle.
- Engine: Consider cleaning your vehicle’s engine before taking pictures.
- Cosmetic issues: Any and all damage should be closely photographed.
- Current mileage: Take a picture of the odometer for proof of current mileage.
4| Create and Manage Listing
Once you have photographed your vehicle, you will want to create your listing. When creating an eBay Motors vehicle listing it is important to describe your car in detail. While the VIN imports most of the information for you, it is your responsibility to mention any pre-existing cosmetic or mechanical issues that the potential buyer needs to be aware of. Use the information that you collected during step 2 for this purpose.
After you have created your listing, you will need to manage it. If you are not receiving any bids you will want to revise and update the ad. Try to highlight the value in buying your car specifically. What makes your car unique? Brainstorm a list of extra features and use those to lure in buyers.
People will often message you with questions about the vehicle you are selling. It is important to answer their concerns right away. They are most likely worried about scams and are seeking more information to feel safe. In addition, never take the transaction off eBay as it can cause many problems for both you and the buyer.
5| Finalize Sale
When you created your vehicle listing you should have set your up your payment terms. eBay Motors highly encourages sellers to accept PayPal but they do allow sellers to accept or deny certain payment methods. You will want to make sure that both you and your buyer are on the same page here. Once the payment has cleared, you will need to work with the buyer to ship the vehicle. While the seller is not responsible for shipping, it doesn’t hurt to guide your buyer in the right direction.
6| Arrange Shipping
Once the sale has been finalized you will want to work with the buyer to ship the car. If the buyer is local it will be better for them to pick the vehicle up on their own. Otherwise, if they are out of town or in another state, use a service like uShip.
uShip makes it simple to get instant eBay car shipping quotes. All the buyer has to do is create a listing on the shipping marketplace. We even have a tool that imports all of the vehicle information for you. After that, professional eBay transporters will provide free shipping quotes for the buyer to review. If you have any questions about transporting a car from eBay Motors, please contact us.
HOW MUCH DOES EBAY MOTORS CHARGE TO SELL A CAR?
eBay Motors Fees can vary depending on a few different factors. According to eBay Motors, if you are selling less than six vehicles per year, you can expect to pay between $25 and $95 to list a vehicle. You can read more about fees by visiting Fees For Selling Vehicles on eBay Motors.
TIPS FOR SELLING A CAR ON EBAY MOTORS
- Wash your vehicle: This should be obvious, however, make sure you detail your vehicle inside and out.
- Clean out your personal belongings: Make sure to remove anything that you care about from the car.
- Address mechanical issues: Try and repair any mechanical issues that make sense. For example, if the headlights are out, replace the bulbs.
- Have your car inspected: Have your car inspected by a local dealership. They will provide a certificate that you can pass over to potential buyers.