As the CoronaVirus (Covid-19) continues to spread around the globe, it is important for carriers to be smart with their decisions as they continue to pick up and deliver shipments. If you are a service provider, be sure to take the necessary precautions to stay healthy and prevent the spread of the virus. This guide offers tips on how to do just that. However, if you suspect you have the virus, please seek professional medical assistance right away.
How to Stay Healthy During the CoronaVirus
Staying safe on the open road as a service provider is possible with proper knowledge and preparation. However, it’s important to know that there is currently not a preventative vaccine for the virus. According to the CDC, the following steps should be taken to protect yourself:
1 | Wash Your Hands
- Wash your hands thoroughly after stopping for fuel, handling money, touching public surfaces, making a pickup or delivery, and after sneezing or coughing.
- Wash with antibacterial soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- If water is not available, hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol can be used.
2 | Avoid Contact
- Avoid any contact with sick people – even if they are not showing symptoms of the COVID-19 virus.
- If you end up in an area with a high infection rate, it is best to leave as soon as possible. Risking your health over a shipment is not worth catching the virus.
- Use common sense when in a public place. Do not touch other people or unnecessary surfaces.
- Do not touch your face, mouth, eyes, or nose with unwashed hands.
3 | Clean and Disinfect
- Clean and disinfect the inside of your truck often with a bleach solution or an EPA registered disinfectant.
- Consider disinfecting any surface you or someone else may touch often – door handles, locks, levers, electronics, writing utensils, etc,
4 | Wear Gloves
- Wear gloves when handling other people’s property. That said, wearing gloves does not substitute hand washing.
- Ensure you are not allergic to latex products before you purchase gloves. If you are, buy latex-free.
What are the Symptoms of CoronaVirus?
Depending on many factors, the symptoms of CoronaVirus range from mild to severe. Typically, the following symptoms may appear within 2 – 14 days after exposure:
- Shortness of breath
This list is nonexhaustive and other symptoms can occur. Consult with a medical provider for all symptoms you are experiencing.
How to Prevent Spread of CoronaVirus (COVID-19)
If you are showing any symptoms of COVID-19, call your doctor right away and head home. Furthermore, you should also take preventative measures to help prevent spreading the virus, such as:
Cover Coughs and Sneezes
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or use your inner elbow.
- Throw your tissue away in a lined trash can.
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water immediately after.
Stay Home and Self-Quarantine
- Remain under isolation at home until your risk of transmission has been eliminated.
- Stay in close contact with your healthcare provider.
Wear a Facemask
- Only wear a facemask if you will be in public or sharing a space with others.
- Wear a facemask if you are caring for others with the virus.
Remember, always call 911 if you have a medical emergency. Let the dispatcher know you may have COVID-19.
Novel CoronaVirus Resources
Keep up with the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) with the following resources:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
- U.S. Department of Education
- Harvard University