Moving A Couch: The Best Ways
There are a couple of options when it comes to moving a couch. You can do it yourself or you can hire movers. If you need to move a couch across town, to another state, or cross country, the best way to move a couch is to hire a professional furniture moving service. If you’re moving by yourself, or if you’re putting the couch in a new room, you’ll probably want to do it yourself.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR MOVING YOUR COUCH
First, ask yourself if you should move your sofa. Is it worth the trouble to move without a professional moving company? It’s common for people to sell their couches when moving and use that money to purchase a new one in their new home. Consider the following:
- How Valuable Is Your Couch? Think about sentimental value as well as monetary value.
- What’s the Current Condition of the Couch? If it’s too old or broken, it probably isn’t worth the move.
After you have decided that your couch is worth the move, you’ll want to get the supplies you need to move a sofa. Taking the right safety measures and preparing yourself with the right backup and supplies will ensure a safe moving experience if you’re moving the furniture yourself.
- Furniture Dolly: You can buy or rent a furniture dolly
- Furniture Sliders: Minimize friction when sliding or pushing your couch along the floor
- Manpower: Get a friend or two to help you lift, carry, load, and unload your couch
- Packing Materials: Moving blankets, bubble wrap, stretch wrap, packing tape, cardboard
Once you have your supplies, you’re ready to pack and protect your couch for moving. Follow these steps to prepare your sofa for the move:
- Clean the Couch: Vacuum the couch under the cushions, and clean any dust off of the sofa.
- Disassemble the Couch: Remove all parts of the sofa that can be detached (legs, armrests, cushions, etc.) Keep all screws in a plastic bag and label it.
- Wrap the Couch for Moving: Use packing paper and furniture blankets to wrap all the removed pieces. Tape cardboard pieces to the corners of the sofa. Wrap the entire length of the couch in moving blankets, and use shrink wrap as a protective layer to hold everything in place.
BEST WAY TO MOVE A COUCH BY YOURSELF WITH A DOLLY
A 4-wheel furniture dolly is the easiest way to move a couch. First, you’ll want to get the dolly as close to the couch as you can. This is where your friends come into play. With their help, lift the sofa onto the center of the dolly, and secure it with rope or moving straps. Push the dolly slowly and be careful of doorways. Once the couch is in the moving van, strap it down to ensure a safe move.
BEST WAY TO MOVE A COUCH WITH PROFESSIONAL MOVERS
When looking for a moving company, you could call around and receive quotes from various companies who will then fill up your inbox and voicemail, or you could use uShip and save time and money. With uShip it’s easy to move your sofa.
All you have to do is create a shipment listing detailing your needs and the dimensions of your couch, then carriers who specialize in moving couches will send you their best quotes as they compete for your business. Review these carriers’ uShip profiles for customer-rated feedback, more information on their company, and their shipment history. Accept the quote of the carrier you want to work with and you’re on your way. It’s that easy!
Ready to ship your couch?Get Quotes Now
It’s becoming more common to buy and sell single pieces of furniture online, and it seems like that trend is here to stay.
One of the biggest problems facing Etsy sellers today is finding reliable shipping solutions for large and bulky furniture.
Yes, you can ship a mattress, but there are some things to take into consideration in order to have a successful shipping experience.