Register and Start Bidding on Jobs Today!
Why uShip Fits Expediters
- A freight marketplace with thousands of loads
- Loads for Straight Trucks, Cargo Vans, and Hotshots
- Work directly with shippers to arrange shipment details
How uShip Helps Expediters
- Loaded backhauls – Find loads headed to your next pick up with QuickSearch
- Quickly build trips – Book loads instantly through the ‘Book It Now’ Feature
- Free loads emailed to you
- No monthly fees, no sign up fees, only a transaction fee
uShip Tips for Expediters
The virtues of cargo vans
Cargo Vans tend to get a bad rap in expediting, to some they aren’t real trucks, but they do have their value, especially on uShip. Cargo vans have a lot of benefits:
- Cheaper to operate: It’s possible to get over 25 MPG on the highway
- Easier to park
- Faster: You can run almost all day and night without stopping to deliver your shipments fasters
- Fewer regulations: Don’t have to weigh in or keep logs (depending on your cargo)
- Flexibility on uShip: With a van you can attach a trailer to your bumper, load up a flatbed and still have room left in your van for more delicate shipments.
If you drive a straight truck, treat your fellow expediters with respect, and if you’re in a van, be proud.
Dispatching from the road on uShip
Expedited loads don’t leave you a lot of time to plan your back hauls, and you may end up running more deadhead miles than you’d like. However, today’s technology can help you plan backhauls with uShip, even on the road.
If you don’t have a laptop, there is no excuse. Laptop prices have come down significantly in price, you can now buy one for less than $500. You might consider buying a stand so it’s easier to look at, but be careful of thieves. Make sure you can easily detach and hide your laptop out of the way when not in the truck.
One of your best investments will be a wireless data card that works on the road, wireless providers such as Verizon and T-mobile offer these services. Depending on your data needs they can rage from $20 to $80 a month. You can also buy an all-in-one printer, scanner, copier and fax machine so you can print out and fax Bills of Lading.
When you are on the road to your pick up it is the perfect time to start planning your back haul. Search for shipments headed out of your drop off area, start asking questions, and by the time you’ve made your delivery you’ll have a loaded back haul ready to go!