How Can I Become a Licensed Mover?

Categories: General
Was this tip helpful to you? Yes No (28 out of 36 people found this tip helpful) Author: uShip
If you are moving household goods on a regular basis, you must first have a commercial driver's license (CDL). Next, you will need to register as a common carrier, and obtain authority to transport household goods from one place to another. If you plan to do this across state lines, the US Department of Transportation Authority can file for you for a flat fee, obtaining your US Department of Transportation (DOT) authorization number and your motor carrier (MC) license number. Once your authority is established, you can go through the Single State Registration System, on the same site, to pay a fee to 38 participating states for each vehicle you will operate in their state during that year. Before you begin your moving jobs, you will also need to obtain liability insurance of at least $750,000 (more if you transport hazardous materials). Finally, you must publish a "tariff" (schedule of rates) that must include any charge you plan on assessing from a customer.

For members located in the UK, this website is helpful.

For member located in Canada, this website is helpful.